Unlike ordinary hair shampoos, hair growth shampoos for people with hair loss come with special ingredients and formulation to aid in stimulating growth of hair and stop thinning of hair on the scalp. The solution may vary from men to women. These shampoos vary greatly from each other in terms of active ingredients, effectiveness in combating hair thinning as well as in rejuvenating hair follicle cells to grow new hair. To illustrate just how different these products can be, we have carried out an in-depth review of two leading shampoos in the market that have mainly organic or natural ingredients which are excellent alternatives to brands like Nioxin:
- PhytoWorx Organic Hair Loss Shampoo
- Ultrax Labs Hair Surge Caffeine Shampoo
What’s so Special about PhytoWorx Organic?
PhytoWorx is a leading brand in hair and beauty care products and in this this shampoo formulated with plant stem cells and essential oils for hair recovery and regrowth, you have to admit they have a winner in the market, with their flagship shampoo that contains all natural ingredients unlike shampoos like Nioxin.
Shampoo Ingredients and Features
- Revolutionary Hair Rejuvenation Technology: This shampoo makes use of revolutionary stem cell technology for rejuvenating the scalp and encourage healthy hair growth.
- Rarest of Plant Stem Cells: PhytoWorx has used the stem cells from a rare plant found in Switzerland, (Malus Domestica) as the shampoo’s chief active ingredient. The stem cell mix works on the scalp to stimulate the follicles to start sprouting hair
- The Best Essential Oils: The other ingredients in the shampoo include such essential oils and herbal antioxidants as peppermint, tea tree, rosemary and eucalyptus which improve the health, sheen and thickness of your hair.
- Toxin Free: Unlike some traditional shampoos, PhytoWorx organic hair shampoo has been certified as sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) free. SLS can cause irritation on the skin and some studies have shown it has carcinogenic properties.
Advantages of PhytoWorx Organic
- Slows down hair thinning & loss within a matter of days. After a few days of application, you will notice your hair becoming stronger. This is due to the fast-acting nature of the Malus domestica stem cells.
- Does not require conditioner. After only the first use, you will feel your hair feel heavier, as if is retaining moisture.
- The shampoo stops dandruff after a single use and ensures that your scalp is always oily and smooth
- Good for people with sensitive skin
Disadvantages of PhytoWorx Organic
- It is priced slightly higher than conventional shampoos
- The shampoo barely makes any suds when mixed with water. As such, some users have tended to overuse it
Ultrax Labs Hair Surge Caffeine Shampoo
This shampoo is produced by Ultrax Labs, a leading brand in beauty care. The shampoo has caffeine as the active ingredient. After some initial skepticism, it has been proven that caffeine has some hair rejuvenation qualities. The compound works at the hair follicles base to neutralize the effect of hormones and enzymes which accelerate hair fall.
Shampoo Ingredients and Features
- Micro Blend Caffeine Technology: The shampoo is formulated from a special blend of carefully extracted caffeine. It is optimized for easy penetration to the hair roots to combat the action of enzymes which lead to hair fall
- Formulated with Ketoconazole: Hair Surge shampoo is formulated with 0.2% Ketoconazole. Also known as Nizoral, Ketoconazole is an effective anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory compound. Though its use in helping stop thinning hair is more recent, there are scientific studies which have proved it is remarkably effective.
- Contains Saw Palmetto: Clinical trials have shown that Saw Palmetto is effective in combating 5-alpha reductase, an enzyme which converts testosterone to Dihydrotestosterone (DIH), a major cause of hair loss in both men and women
- New Improved formula: Ultrax Labs have been making hair shampoos for decades. Hair Surge shampoo in particular has been reformulated several times based on new research as well as customer feedback to give a product with even more effective application
Advantages of the Ultrax Hair Surge Shampoo
- Specifically formulated to combat thinning hair and loss agents which are common in both men and women, the shampoo delivers remarkable results across genders
- The shampoo comes in a redesigned container which makes dispensing easy and straightforward. You won’t use more shampoo than you need to.
- Has a natural smell which does not linger after application
Disadvantages of Ultrax Hair Surge
Does not have hair conditioning properties
You may need to use the shampoo daily for a couple of months before the results show
It is quite pricey and there are some equally effective caffeine based shampoos in the market at much lower price tags
Comparing PhytoWorx Organic & Ultrax Hair Surge
Both shampoos are quite pricey so which one delivers real value for money. To answer the question definitively, you have to compare the two products in terms of ingredients and qualities, effectiveness as well as in the ease of application and of use.
Ingredients and Qualities
As noted in the beginning, both shampoos take different approaches in combating hair loss. The PhytoWorx product uses stem cell technology and essential oils to stimulate growth, stop hair fall and condition the hair. Ultrax Labs have looked in a different direction by using the scalp healing properties of caffeine combined with Ketoconazole and Saw Palmetto to help stop hair breaking and falling off.
On this score, PhytoWorx Organic has an edge over Ultrax Labs especially because of its hair conditioning properties
Again, PhytoWorx wins because, according to online customer reviews, results are evident in a matter of days. Users of Ultrax Labs say it may take weeks or months to see any discernible change.
Ease of Use and Application
Here, the Ultrax Hair Surge has a slight edge as it does better than the PhytoWorx shampoo in terms of lathering. Moreover, it is much easier to dispense and has just the right consistency for easy application.